Paramedics and residents rushed to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning


Two paramedics were among five people rushed to hospital suffering from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning at a house in Northern Ireland.

The team were responding to an incident at the property in Newcastle, Co Down, on Friday evening when they developed the symptoms, Northern Ireland Ambulance Service (NIAS) said.

The Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) were called to the property where high levels of the toxic gas were detected.

The paramedics, with the help of the NIFRS, treated themselves and the three others with oxygen while four additional ambulances were sent to the scene.

All those affected were taken to an emergency department where they were due to be checked for levels of contamination and receive further treatment.

NIAS said they are expected to make a speedy recovery. The incident comes a day after a North Wales Ambulance Service driver, named as John Clift, 54, died when his vehicle collided with an urgent response ambulance in Pwllheli.

Three more people were taken to hospital after suffering serious injuries in the incident.