Neighbours have spoken of their shock after two people were found dead following a bust-up at a property.
Two others were found injured at the home in Dickens Avenue, Canterbury, Kent, just after 7.30pm on Tuesday.
A man was arrested at the scene as detectives from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate tried to piece together the background to the deaths.
A Kent Police spokeswoman said they believe the victims and the man arrested were known to each other.
One neighbour, who declined to be named, believed the property housed people who had been placed there by the authorities.
She said: "It's been like that for years. There have been some nice people living there who have been polite.
"Something like this happening round here is very unusual. I'm 49 and have been here since three months old, and it's been fine.
"I just saw flashing lights last night. My partner told me there was a tent in the garden where presumably they are doing forensics."
Charlotte Bunn, 83, who lives opposite, said: "I think the people who stay there live there for maybe one or two years then move on.
"I only knew the people who lived there to say hello to when out in the garden or walking in the street. They seem alright. I can't find any fault."
Ms Bunn, who has lived in the area for more than 50 years, added: "It's a quiet area. All the time I have lived here I have only had trouble once."
Police are yet to identify the dead people and are in the process of informing the next of kin.