Calls for vigilance as Paris attacks suspect Salah Abdeslam resists extradition


The prime suspect over autumn's deadly Paris terror attacks will fight plans to extradite him to France to stand trial.

Salah Abdeslam was captured during a major police operation in the Belgian capital Brussels on Friday.

The 26-year-old was shot in the leg during his arrest but was discharged from hospital on Saturday morning.

Abdeslam, a French national, is subject to a European arrest warrant issued by France but his lawyer Sven Mary said: "We will refuse extradition."

He and Abdeslam have met with a Belgian investigating magistrate who will decide whether to issue a formal arrest warrant against the man accused of playing a key role in the November 13 attacks on a rock concert, cafes and a stadium that killed 130 people.

Belgian prime minister Charles Michel confirmed that Abdeslam had been captured after heavily armed officers stormed a building in Brussels' Molenbeek district.

He said two other men were also held in the operation in a part of the city that some of the Paris attackers, including suspected ringleader Abdelhamid Abaaoud, were from.

Bernard Cazeneuve, the French interior minister, said the arrest was a "major blow" to Islamic State in Europe and said he hopes Abdeslam can be brought to France to face justice.

But Interpol has urged countries to be vigilant with their border controls, warning his capture may encourage any of his accomplices still at large to try to flee Europe.

Secretary General Jurgen Stock said: "Belgium is to be congratulated on the arrest of Salah Abdeslam, but this is just one piece in a larger puzzle.

"Whilst it is too soon to speculate in which direction the investigation will proceed, anyone linked to Abdeslam will be concerned that their location could be revealed and attempt to run to try and avoid detection.

"It is now vital that countries continue to co-operate and make thorough checks against the information available to them to avoid suspects slipping through the net."

French president Francois Hollande has warned there will be more arrests as authorities work to dismantle the network behind the attacks.