Council apology after porn is played during funeral service for father and son

Updated: 

A council has apologised after pornography was accidentally played at the funeral of a father and baby who died in a car crash.

Simon Lewis and Simon Junior were killed in a head-on collision on Lamby Way in Cardiff on New Year's Eve.

Hundreds of mourners were left shocked after the video was played during the service at Thornhill Crematorium in the city.

Cardiff Council, which runs the crematorium, has apologised for the incident and said it will be launching an investigation.

A spokeswoman said: "There were four television screens used to display visual tributes as part of this funeral service.

"The television screen which showed the inappropriate content was recently installed, replacing a screen which was broken.

"We are trying to establish if the new screen - which is a smart television - could have accepted or picked up a broadcast by accident via bluetooth or across a wifi network.

"The other three screens, which aren't smart TVs, were unaffected.

"We are clear that it isn't possible for any member of staff to play or download anything on the computer that links to the screens in the chapel.

"The screen has now been completely disconnected until audio visual engineers carry out a thorough investigation.

"We would like to take this opportunity to send our sincere apologies to the family and to the mourners at the funeral."

The fatal crash happened on December 31 when the Lewis family's Daihatsu Sirion collided with a blue Peugeot 307.

Mr Lewis, 33, died at the scene. His pregnant wife, Amanda, and their three-year-old daughter survived - although the couple's child had to be delivered by emergency Caesarean section in hospital.

However, despite the best efforts of doctors, the baby was pronounced dead on January 3.

South Wales Police said Mrs Lewis had been left totally and utterly devastated by both deaths.

A family tribute issued by the force said: "Simon was a very popular man who lived for his family. He was a wonderful father and husband who was looking forward to the birth of his son.

"He will never be replaced."

A man has since been charged with causing two deaths through dangerous driving, aggravated taking of a vehicle without consent, driving while disqualified, and driving without insurance.

Kyle Kennedy, 29, of Harris Avenue, Rumney, appeared at Cardiff Magistrates' Court earlier this month.

He was remanded in custody to appear at Cardiff Crown Court on February 5.