Inquest to be held into death of Nick Cave's son Arthur


An inquest will be held today into the death of musician Nick Cave's teenage son after he fell from a cliff.

Arthur Cave, 15, was found with life-threatening injuries on the underpass of Ovingdean Gap in Brighton at about 6pm on July 14.

The student was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital but died that evening. Sussex Police have said his death was not suspicious.

At the inquest opening in July, coroner's officer Thea Jones said the cause of death was from "multiple traumatic injuries due to a fall from a height".

She said: "Emergency services were called at 5.55pm to the underpass between Ovingdean and Rottingdean after a young male was found by two passers-by. He had injuries consistent with falling from a great height."

Ms Jones said he was pronounced dead at 6.56pm.

Neither Nick Cave nor his wife Susie attended the short hearing.

Cave, 58, is an Australian musician and songwriter, best known as lead singer of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, an alternative rock group formed in Melbourne in 1983.

Last year Cave and his wife appeared alongside Arthur and his twin brother Earl in 20,000 Days On Earth, a film documenting a fictitious 24 hours in the singer's life.

Following Arthur's death, Cave and his wife released a short statement through Sussex Police saying: "He was our beautiful, happy, loving boy."

Cave has two other sons, Luke and Jethro.

The inquest will be held at the coroner's court at Woodvale Crematorium in Brighton from 10am.