Most Sharm el-Sheikh Britons home by tonight - minister

UK Ambassador: We Aim to Get People Home as Soon as Possible

Most of the British holidaymakers stranded in Sharm el-Sheikh who had been due to return to the UK by today will be home by the end of the day, Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin has said.

Airlines will resume services from the Egyptian resort amid tightened security, including a ban on carrying hold luggage.

The UK government suspended air links on Wednesday after a Russian plane crashed last weekend, killing 224 people.

It has been reported that British spies uncovered an Islamic State (IS) bomb plot in the region following the tragedy.

Prime Minister David Cameron said it was "more likely than not" the Russian aircraft was brought down by a terrorist explosive device.

The Government gave approval for flights to resume after a day of intense negotiations with Egyptian leaders and the airlines.

Mr McLoughlin told ITV1's Good Morning Britain: "The airlines have been incredibly co-operative with us to sort this out and we are going to have a number of aircraft going out today and bringing people back home.

"I think most of the people who were expecting to be home by tonight will be home by tonight."