Man arrested after Birmingham double shooting freed on bail


A man arrested in connection with a double shooting which left one man dead and another critically injured has been released on police bail.

The 27-year-old suspect was questioned over the attack in Birmingham but has been bailed with "strict conditions" pending further inquiries, West Midlands Police said.

 A 25-year-old man died from a gunshot wound after the shooting on Friday morning, while a second man remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Detective chief inspector Caroline Marsh, who is leading the investigation, has appealed for witnesses to come forward.

She said: "From our early investigations we know there were a number of people in the area at the time who would have seen what happened and have vital information about those responsible.

"We urgently need those people to come forward and talk to us to assist our investigation. Our officers are highly experienced in supporting witnesses who are worried about coming forward and the force - in conjunction with the courts and others - can put in a range of measures to make people who speak out feel safer."

The suspect was arrested by officers in a vehicle in Bridgeman Street in Walsall on Saturday morning.

Specialist officers remain at the scene of the shooting, which happened at around 4.30am on Friday.

Police had been called to Soho Hill, in Hockley, following reports of disorder among a large group of men and the sound of a shot being fired.

The 25-year-old victim, from Handsworth, took himself to hospital shortly afterwards with a gunshot wound but was later pronounced dead.

The critically injured man was found in Soho Hill with gunshot injuries.