The Glasgow bin lorry crash driver is expected to be called to give evidence at a fatal accident inquiry after a motion to have it halted was withdrawn by the family of one of the victims.
Earlier this week, relatives of Jacqueline Morton, 51, who was killed in the crash, said they would seek to bring charges against Mr Clarke, 58, after prosecutors ruled out doing so.
Lawyers acting for her family requested that the inquiry into the December 22 tragedy be adjourned in order to seek authority to bring a rare private prosecution against him.
However Dorothy Bain QC, representing the family of Ms Morton, today told the inquiry, now in its fifth week, that they had withdrawn the motion to have the inquiry adjourned.
Ms Bain said: "May I say that the family are finding these proceedings stressful and most worrying and having regard to further discussions and understanding the other families' positions, the Morton family are now not insisting on this motion.
"They feel it is in the best interests of everyone to conclude this inquiry without delay.
"The family's position on a private prosecution has not changed at all and they fully intend to continue with that."
Mr Clarke was behind the wheel of the council refuse truck that veered out of control on a busy shopping street, killing Ms Morton, from Glasgow, and five others.
The inquiry, at Glasgow Sheriff Court, has heard evidence that he has a history of dizzy spells and fainting which he failed to disclose to the DVLA and on job application forms.
Mr Clarke is the only witness remaining.
His solicitor Paul Reid said he has not had the opportunity to consult with his client or take his instructions on the latest development.
A legal debate is taking place on the possible scope of a private prosecution, which Ms Bain said has not yet been analysed "to any significant degree".