Not a single government minister or official source is in the top ten – though Labour leader Ed Miiband makes it in at No 8. The head of the International Monetary Fund is only 11th.
AccountantsThe accountancy body – the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales – teamed up with a firm called Peerindex to calculate the most influential users of Twitter when it comes to our money. It said it was looking for those with "the most sway in the financial world, and are picked up and followed by key Twitter users".
There was an economics professor – thankfully in the No 1 slot – the Labour Party leader and the accountants and consultants Ernst & Young. Other than it was BBC, ITV and Channel 4 journalists and the Economist magazine.
Power of the BBCThe Beeb not only reports but clearly influences our decisions. The nasal-toned business editor Robert Peston comes in at second place, closely followed by Newsnight's economics editor Paul Mason – the author of some excellent, left-leaning, books on the economic crisis.
The economics editor of Channel 4 News, Faisal Islam, gets in the top ten at sixth place, closely followed at seventh by ITV's business news editor Laura Kuenssberg.
Not in the top tenHovering just outside the top ten is Christine Lagarde (@Lagarde) the managing director of the International Monetary Fund, followed by the UK Treasury's official twitter account (@hmtreasury) and spending cut critic Richard Murphy (@richardjmurphy) of Tax research.
But it seems the real power and influence is held by journalists. Heaven help us.
The Top ten
- Nouriel Roubini @Nouriel Professor at Stern School,
- Robert Peston @Peston Business Editor for the BBC
- Paul Mason @paulmasonnews Newsnight's economics editor
- The Economist @TheEconomist Official site for The Economist.
- Tim Harford @TimHarford Undercover Economist at the FT, BBC presenter of More or Less, Radio 4
- Faisal Islam @faisalislam Economics Editor, C4 News
- Laura Kuenssberg @ITVLauraK ITV News Business Editor
- Ed Miliband @Ed_Miliband Leader of the Labour Party
- Ernst & Young @EYnews Ernst & Young, professional services organisation
- Stephanie Flanders @BBCStephanie Economics Editor for the BBC
The ICAEW's full list (new window)