Wholemeal Cheese Straws with Pesto Dip
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 50 g (2 oz) softened butter, plus extra for greasing
- 125 g (4 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 125 g (4 oz) wholemeal plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- beaten egg, to glaze
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 3 tablespoons pesto
- 75 g (3 oz) soft cheese
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Blend the butter and cheese in a food processor. Stir in the flour and 3 tbsp water and form into a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to about o.5 cm (1/4 inch) thick. Brush with beaten egg, then cut into 1.5 cm (3/4 inch) x 10 cm long strips and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and chilli powder. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 10–15 minutes until crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the dip. Mix the pesto with the soft cheese and milk. Place in a small dipping bowl to serve with the warm cheese straws.