Warm Tea-Smoked Salmon Salad
- Preparation time
- 15 minutes, plus resting
- Cooking time
- 10 minutes
- 4 salmon fillets, each about 125 g (4 oz)
- 125 g (4 oz) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 125 g (4 oz) rocket
- 8 tablespoons jasmine tea leaves
- 8 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 8 tablespoons long-grain rice
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 4—5 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper
Mix together all the ingredients for the smoke mix. Line a wok with a large sheet of foil, allowing it to overhang the edges, and pour in the smoke mix. Place a trivet over the top. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture is smoking.
Meanwhile, remove any bones from the salmon with tweezers. Put the tomatoes and rocket in a bowl.
Quickly remove the lid from the wok and place the salmon fillets, skin side down, on the trivet. Cover and cook over a high heat for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside, covered, for another 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the dressing. Mix the shallot and garlic in a bowl with the thyme leaves, mustard, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper. Whisk thoroughly to combine.
Flake the salmon into the tomato and rocket salad, add the dressing and toss well. Serve immediately.