- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 1–1.5 kg (2–3 lb) large mussels, cleaned (about 48 mussels)
- 60 g (2 1/4 oz) breadcrumbs
- 50 g (2 oz) walnut pieces
- 200 g (7 oz) butter
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- a small handful of parsley, chopped
- Steam the mussels in a large, covered saucepan until they open, then drain. Discard any mussels that do not open. Break off the empty half of the shells and place the mussels on a baking tray.
- Place the breadcrumbs, walnuts, butter, garlic, lemon juice and grated Parmesan in a food processor and blitz until the mixture starts to come together. Add the herbs and blend until combined.
- Divide the herb mixture between the mussels, making sure each mussel is covered. Cook under a preheated hot grill for 2–3 minutes, until the stuffing is golden. You may need to cook the mussels in batches if you cannot fit them all on 1 baking tray.
- Serve immediately.