Spiced Quince Jam
- 450 g (14 1/2 oz) fresh quinces
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 350 g (11 1/2 oz) granulated sugar
- 225 ml (7 1/2 fl oz) water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2–3 star anise
- 6 cloves
- 2 strips of lemon rind
- mini pancakes, to serve
- Peel and core each quince, then place in a bowl of water with the lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Place the sugar and measurement water in a heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved. Add the spices and lemon rind, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2–3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coarsely grate the quinces, then add to the syrup and simmer gently for a further 15–20 minutes. Serve the hot jam spooned over mini pancakes. (The cooled jam can also be stored in sealed sterilized jars for 2–3 months.)