Goat & Vegetable Curry
- Preparation time
- 10 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time
- 2–2¼ hours
- large pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder (see
- 750 g (1½ lb) lean goat or mutton, cubed
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 2 onions, halved and thickly sliced
- 750 ml (1¼ pints) lamb stock
- 2 fresh Scotch bonnet chillies
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery sticks, roughly sliced
- 4 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 6 tablespoons coconut cream
- chopped coriander leaves, to garnish
Sift together the salt, pepper and curry powder, and rub into the cubes of meat. Set aside for 1 hour.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-low heat. Add the meat and onion and cook, stirring, for 10–12 minutes until the meat is browned and well sealed.
Add the stock and chillies, reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and simmer for 1½ hours or until the meat is tender. Add the carrots, celery, potatoes and coconut cream, and continue cooking for a further 20–30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the gravy is thick.