Chocolate Orange Madeleines
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 75 g (3 oz) butter, melted and cooled, plus extra for greasing
- 75 g (3 oz) self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 75 g (3 oz) caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) plain dark or milk chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Lightly brush a 12-hole silicone madeleine tray, friand tray or mini muffin tin with melted butter and dust lightly with flour.
- Place the eggs, orange extract, orange rind, sugar and salt in a large bowl and beat with a hand-held electric hand whisk until pale and thick and the whisk leaves a trail when lifted above the mixture. Sift in the flour, then add the melted butter and fold gently until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tray and bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for 8–10 minutes until risen and golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water, ensuring the bowl does not touch the water. Stir gently and set aside.
- Remove the madeleines from the oven and transfer to a wire rack. Once cool to the touch, spread some melted chocolate over each cake. Leave to set in a cool place for a few minutes before serving.