Beetroot & Apple Relish
- Preparation time
- 15 minutes
- Cooking time
- about 1½ hours
- 500 g (1 lb) cooking apples, peeled, halved and cored
- 500 g (1 lb) raw beetroot, peeled
- 375 g (12 oz) onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped root ginger
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 250 g (8 oz) soft dark brown sugar
- 450 ml (¾ pint) red wine vinegar
Grate the apples and beetroot into a large saucepan, then add all the remaining ingredients.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 1½ hours, until the relish has thickened and the beetroot is tender.
Ladle into warm, dry jars. Disperse any air pockets with a skewer or small knife and cover with screw-top lids. Label and leave to mature in a cool, dark place for about 1 week.
To serve, partner this relish with pork chops.