Aubergine and Mozzarella Fusilli Lunghi
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 aubergine, thickly sliced
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) shop-bought tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- 400 g (13 oz) fusilli lunghi
- 25 g (1 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 125 g (4 oz) mozzarella cheese, cubed
- salt and pepper
- basil leaves, to garnish
- Heat half the oil in a large nonstick frying pan, add half the aubergine and cook for 5–7 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Season well, then remove from the pan to a plate. Repeat with the remaining oil and aubergine.
- Place the tomato pasta sauce and chilli flakes in a saucepan, add the cooked aubergine and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to the pack instructions until al dente. Drain, reserving a little of the cooking water, and return to the pan. Stir through the aubergine sauce, adding a little cooking water to loosen if needed.
- Toss through the Parmesan and season, then spoon into serving bowls. Top with the mozzarella and serve sprinkled with the basil.