Ants Climbing a Tree
- Preparation time
- 15 minutes, plus standing
- Cooking time
- 15 minutes
- 250 g (8 oz) dried fine bean thread noodles
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled and finely grated fresh root ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 8 spring onions, finely chopped
- 400 g (13 oz) minced pork
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) boiling hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour, mixed to a paste with 2 tablespoons cold water
- 200 g (7 oz) firm tofu, drained and cut into bite-sized cubes
Place the noodles in a large heatproof bowl, pour over boiling hot water to cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain and set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large nonstick wok or frying pan over a high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, mushrooms, chillies and spring onions and stir-fry for 1–2 minutes. Add the minced pork and stir-fry, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, for about 4–5 minutes until browned.
Stir the soy sauce, hoisin sauce and stock into the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cornflour paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2–3 minutes until thickened.
Add the drained noodles and tofu and toss together for 2–3 minutes until heated through. Serve immediately.