Anthrax has been discovered in a cow in Wiltshire - the first case in an animal since 2006.
The disease was detected by officials on a farm in the Westbury area of Wiltshire following the death of a cow last week, Public Health England (PHE) said.
The cow has been incinerated and restrictions have been placed on the farm.
PHE said: "The risk of infection in close human contacts of the animal is very low."
Mike Wade, deputy director of Health Protection for PHE South West, said: "We are aware of a confirmed case of anthrax disease in a cow in the Westbury area of Wiltshire.
"The risk of infection in close human contacts of the animal is very low, and we are in touch with any potential contacts to offer public health advice."
Anthrax is a bacterial disease which primarily affects herbivorous animals, although all mammals are susceptible to infection.
Human cases of anthrax are very rare - with the last case occurring in 2008.