The new series of Britain's Got Talent shocked viewers with the surprisingly sweet voice of Susan Boyle. The unemployed 48-year-old from West Lothian, Scotland had dreams of following in the footsteps of Elaine Paige, although her appearance on stage intially underwhelmed the judges. However once she began singing 'I Dreamed A Dream' from Les Miserables, she quickly wowed the judges, audience and the whole country with her exceptional voice, even reducing people to tears. No doubt her Elaine Paige career will soon be set in motion.
Another shocker this week was the enormous cost involved in Mel Gibson's imminent divorce. After denying rumours of an affair with a young Russian girl, Mel's wife of 28 years, Robyn, has filed for divorce. He now stands to lose half of his £640m fortune. That's the price celebrities pay for not setting up pre-nups. Although, to give them credit, 28 years is a stable relationship by Hollywood standards!
Top searches for Thursday, 16th April:
- Britain's Got Talent - series 3 began on 11th April
- Mel Gibson divorce - separating after 28 years of marriage
- Drinkers lose benefits - alcoholics may be penalised
- 99p bikini - recession-busting beachwear
- Angels and Demons - popularity grows for the controversial movie
- House prices - dropping again after a brief rise last month
- UK weather - typically unpredicable
- Susan Boyle - wows judges with her voice
- Hillsborough disaster - the 20th anniversary of the tragic incident