My Chemical Romance video hints at rock band reunion

American rock band My Chemical Romance have hinted they may be getting back together.

The band, famous for hits such as I'm Not Okay (I Promise) and Helena, posted a 34-second video on Twitter.

Fans have speculated on social media that September 23 could be the release date of a new album.

The date would be pertinent as it would be a month before the 10-year anniversary of the release of their hit album, The Black Parade.

Front man Gerard Way, 39, announced the band's split in 2013, saying in a statement: "Being in this band for the past 12 years has been a true blessing. We've gotten to go places we never knew we would.
"We've been able to see and experience things we never imagined possible. We've shared the stage with people we admire, people we look up to, and best of all, our friends.

Gerard Way from My Chemical Romance performs at the T in the Park (Andrew Milligan/PA Archive/Press Association Images )

"And now, like all great things, it has come time for it to end. Thanks for all of your support, and for being part of the adventure."

The band was often described as being "emo", a music genre that is distinguishable by its "emotional" lyrics.

Gerard reportedly said in an interview that the term had "never been accurate to describe us".

He is quoted as telling an American student newspaper in 2007 that "there's bands that unfortunately we get lumped in with that are considered emo and by default that starts to make us emo. All I can say is anyone actually listening to the records, put the records next to each other and listen to them and there's actually no similarities."

The band released a greatest hits album, May Death Never Stop You, in March 2014.