A secret star-studded memorial has been held for Prince


A star-studded memorial service for Prince has been held in private in Los Angeles.

The event was reportedly organised by the late singer's ex-wives, Manuela Testolini and Mayte Garcia, and guests included film director Spike Lee, singer Gwen Stefani and Chic musician Nile Rodgers.

The service at the Samuel Goldwyn Theatre came after Prince's family denied that a memorial had already taken place for the Purple Rain star.

Spike posted an image on Instagram showing the purple beret and purple trainers he wore for the memorial.

The director said he was planning a party in New York in honour of Prince on June 4, three days before the music star's birthday.

In a statement reported by a number of news outlets, Prince's family said they planned to hold an official memorial service and public event "in the near future".

It read: "We would like everyone to know that, contrary to previous and current reports, there has been no memorial, funeral or tribute service for Prince that was organised or authorised by the family or Paisley Park representatives. Together, the family is planning an official memorial service and public event to take place in the near future."

The statement continued: "Prince and his music influenced so many people that we feel inspired to celebrate his life and legacy in just the right way. We appreciate the public's patience and have been comforted by your outpouring of love, support and condolences. We look forward to sharing with the world this celebration of, and farewell to, our Prince."

Prince died at Paisley Park on April 21, aged 57. A cause of death has not been released but police are investigating whether a doctor broke the law by over-prescribing drugs to the singer.