As an artist who defied convention, Prince not only captivated the hearts of music fans around the world, he also broke countless boundaries in the world of fashion and set his own sartorial rules.
Famously flamboyant, he would surprise audiences around the world with impromptu concerts and turn up in extravagant outfits.
His bold, colourful and often effeminate sense of style challenged gender norms. And while trends came and went, Prince's signature style - from the eyeliner and sequins to ruffled shirts, remained.
Here are some of the late legend's boundary-breaking fashion spanning over four decades.
1. When he was experimenting with ruffles and sequins
2. When he pulled off matchy polka dots with aplomb
3. When he set the fashion world on fire in metallics
4. When he layered up at Billboard Music Awards
5. When he exuded elegance in oversize suits
6. When he dared to appear on stage in blue and baby pink
7. When he dabbled in hippy chic
8. When he stunned with his suave look
9. When he dazzled in this simple yet show-stopping outfit
10. When he showed off his eclectic style in this exotic black number
11. When purple became his favourite colour
12. When he wowed at the Grammys stage in this orange metallic number
13. When he turned heads in this red outfit
14. When bling became a part of his sartorial look