Four more suspects charged over Brussels suicide bombings

Updated: 

Belgian prosecutors have charged four more suspects with "participating in terrorist acts" linked to the deadly suicide bombings in Brussels last month.

Belgium's Federal Prosecution Office said the four, identified as Mohamed Abrini, Osama K, Herve BM and Bilal EM, had been charged with participating in "terrorist murders" and the "activities of a terrorist group" in relation to the March 22 bombings.

The scene outside Maelbeek Metro Station in Brussels the day after the March 22 terrorist attack
The scene outside Maelbeek Metro Station in Brussels the day after the attack (Gareth Fuller/PA)

Brussels was hit by suicide bombings at the airport and on the Metro which killed 32 and wounded 270. The attacks were claimed by the Islamic State group.

Two other people arrested in the last few days have been released, the statement says.

Briton David Dixon, 50, who was originally from Hartlepool but was living in the Belgian capital, died in the Metro bombing and the Foreign Office said that seven British nationals were injured in the attacks.